The procedure under which young citizens of New Zealand enter the Republic of Latvia pursuant to the Treaty of the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of New Zealand regarding the Working Holiday Scheme
This procedure applies to citizens of New Zealand who, on the day of filing the application, are of an age from 18 to 30 inclusive and the purpose of entry of which is spending holidays in the Republic of Latvia, where employment is of a casual nature and not the primary goal of visit. The provisions of the Treaty do not apply to persons supported by citizens of New Zealand.
A citizen of New Zealand shall file with the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia:
1. a valid copy of the passport of the citizen of New Zealand (by presenting the original), the term of validity of which exceeds the envisaged period of stay in the Republic of Latvia by at least three months;
2. a pre-defined questionnaire for requesting the residence permit, where:
- the reason for stay is specified as “according to the Treaty of the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of New Zealand regarding the Working Holiday Scheme”,
- the specified address of the envisaged place of residence in Latvia,
- confirmation that he/she has sufficient funds to provide for himself/herself during the beginning of the stay (3 months x 227.66 euro) and to pay for the return trip (if there is no return ticket);
3. a photograph;
4. a payment document confirming payment of the state fee of 99.60 euro.
The Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (hereinafter the OCMA) shall adopt a decision regarding issuing the residence permit and work permit within 30 days.
The OCMA shall send the decision regarding issuing the residence permit and work permit to the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia, which shall inform the respective person.
Upon arrival in Latvia the person shall present a valid passport of a citizen of New Zealand and a health insurance policy that includes hospitalisation and repatriation and which is valid throughout the period of envisaged stay (by filing a copy), to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, k-3, Riga, LV-1026).
The residence permit and work permit is issued for a period of up to one year.
A quota is defined: 100 citizens of New Zealand every year.