Procedure of registration of a residence permit.
Documents for registration of a valid residence permit must be filed with the regional office of the Office of Citizenship and Migration personally 30 to 90 days prior to the expiry of the term for the registration of a temporary residence permit and no later than 30 days prior to the expiry of the term for the registration of a permanent residence permit.
A letter of invitation approved by the Office is required for the registration of a residence permit. The letter of invitation is not required if the foreigner:
- is an individual merchant;
- is the only official with representation rights of a merchant registered in the Commercial Register;
- is a self-employed person;
- is a representative of a foreign merchant;
- has divorced or is dissolving a marriage or his or her spouse has died and a minor – a citizen of Latvia or a non-citizen of Latvia remains under the care of the foreigner;
- was a citizen of Latvia on 17 June 1940;
- wishes to register a permanent residence permit;
- requests a residence permit on the basis of a request of a competent state security institution, law enforcement institution or a direct state administration institution;
- requests a residence permit because he or she is appointed as a guardian or trustee for a citizen of Latvia or non-citizen of Latvia;
- requests a residence permit in accordance with Paragraphs 23, 25, 26, 27, 29 or 30 of Part One of Section 23 of the Immigration Law or in accordance with Part Three of Section 31 of the Immigration Law;
- is a family member who requests a residence permit at the same time with the foreigners specified above.
To register the residence permit the foreigner shall present:
- a valid travel document recognised in the Republic of Latvia;
- a document confirming that the foreigner holds a valid health insurance policy (the policy is not required when registering the permanent residence permit).
!!! If the residence of the foreigner in the Republic of Latvia is related to his/her ownership of real property or employment, or commercial activity, or the foreigner is a self-employed person, he or she must file additional documents:
- A foreigner that has been issued a residence permit based on the ownership of real property in the territory of the Republic of Latvia shall additionally file a document confirming that he/she does not have the real property tax debts.
- A foreigner that has been issued a residence permit due to him/her making financial investment in a credit institution of the Republic of Latvia in the amount of no less than 280,000 euros shall additionally file a certification from the credit institution that the deposit agreement has not been terminated before the expiry of the deposit repayment term.
- A Board Member, a Council Member, a proctor, an administrator, a liquidator or a member of a partnership registered in the Commercial Register who has the right to represent the partnership, or a person who is authorised to represent a merchant (a foreign merchant) in activities related to the branch shall additionally file documents confirming that the commercial company:
- has paid, during the previous year, the respective taxes and fees set forth by legal acts of the Republic of Latvia in an amount of no less than 21,350 euros in total.
- A shareholder of a capital company shall additionally file the documents confirming that during the previous year the capital company has paid the respective taxes and fees set forth by the legal acts of the Republic of Latvia in an amount of no less than 40,000 euros in total.
- An individual merchant shall additionally file the documents confirming that the individual merchant:
- has paid, during the previous year, the respective taxes and fees set forth by the legal acts of the Republic of Latvia in an amount of no less than 14,230 euros in total.
- A representative of a foreign merchant shall additionally file:
- information about the agreements entered into in the Republic of Latvia during the previous year and their performance or other documents that confirm active operation of the representative office of the foreign merchant during the previous year resulting in the facilitation of the development of the economy of the Republic of Latvia.
NOTE: additional documents shall not be filed if the company where the foreigner is employed employs more than 10 employeesand its annual turnover or total balance exceeds two million euros.
!!! If the residence of the foreigner in the Republic of Latvia is related to employment or commercial activity or if the foreigner is a self-employed person, in addition to the specified documents, a certification of a competent institution regarding payment of the state social insurance and personal income tax contributions and their amount shall be filed as well, if such documents are available to the foreigner.
The personal income tax and the state social insurance contributions must be paid from the income that the foreigner has specified when filing the documents to apply for a residence permit.
The decision regarding the registration of a residence permit is adopted after an examination of the filed documents, an interview and the verification of other information.